current trick words: many, any
review trick words: each, see, between, say, says, her, over, number, should, could, would, some, come, very, also, too, two, put, why, by, my, try, who, what, when, where, there, here, are, were, do, does, have, from, was, one, said, you, your, they, or, for, we, he, she, be, me, and, his, is, I, my, me, of, see, the, was, you, as, has, to, into
This week in school...
- Ruthie took home Pigeon last weekend. Vince is taking home Piggie this weekend. Have fun!
- we had a special assembly on Wednesday. A storyteller named Motoko came in and shared some folktales from Japan with the first graders. She also taught the students a storytelling game and then had each student write/draw their story. Click HERE to visit Motoko's website and learn more about her. Thank you to Cultural Arts (PTC) for bringing Motoko to the Eliot School!
- In reading workshop we investigated ways to make our reading sound great.
- Here are some ways to sound like a reading star!
- scoop up lots of words
- look out for clues like "dialogue tags"
- change your voice to sound like the characters
- show feelings
- read some parts s..l..o...w and some parts fast
- add sound effects
- read LOUD and clear
- In writing workshop we moved on from writing reviews about our collections to writing reviews about restaurants, toys, games, movies, etc. We are learning how to write convincing reviews by including a catchy introduction, clearly stating our opinion, writing reasons to support our opinion and then saying more about those reasons.
- In math we continued to learn how to collect and analyze data in different types of graphs and tables. We had a math assessment yesterday. Look for this in your child's folder on Monday.
- the kids are continuing to earn money for the school store! They are having a great time counting the money in their savings accounts every morning and exchanging coins.
- Students are now choosing their jobs for the week. Ask your child which job they had last week.
- We changed our classroom around and moved desks. Ask your child who they are sitting next to now.
- we brainstormed all of the things we are saying goodbye to and hello to as we welcomed spring on Wednesday.
- we took down our winter wonderland. On Friday we painted cardstock with lots of colors and designs. We will be creating a beautiful flower garden inspired by Eric Carle
- Thursday 3/28 - Early Dismissal 12:15