Thank you so much and we are looking forward to a fun Halloween at Eliot with PJ’s in Grade 1.
Class wish list: band aides
I sent out a link a few weekends ago about parents conferences. Please click here if you have not signed up for a date/time yet.
Please click here to complete the fall conference questionnaire.
This week in school...
Our featured language was from India
Namaste (good bye)
current trick words: as, has, to, into
review trick words: the, a, and, is, his, of
click here to check out our new poems for the week.
- we dug deeper into the books we read for read aloud so that we could really understand the characters.
- we practiced our fluency by reading with expression.
- we started unit 3 for Fundations. We learned about digraphs. Digraphs are two consonants that work together to make 1 sound. (sh, th, ch, ck, wh)
- the digraph wh can only be found at the beginning of a word.
- ck can only be found at the end of the word following a short vowel.
- we practiced writing stories in itsy bitsy steps. When writers want to write stories that come to life on the page, they tell their stories bit by bit, in small steps.
- writers bring their characters to life by making their characters think and feel.
- we learned how to use words that we already know how to spell to help us spell more challenging words. (art = smart)
- we explored greater than and less than in math.
- we solved story problems in math.
- we continued to learn about empathy and identifying different feelings In Second Step. This week we discussed scared, surprised, and disgusted.
- we had author Jane Dillon visit and talk to first grade about how she got her book published.
- we attended an assembly which featured student performers. We also heard from the generic minstestry and learned more about how we can help out with Sandwich Tuesday.
- we had our first guest reader! Thank you Mr. McKee! Please email me if you are interested in reading to our class.
- we completed unit 1 of math and had the end of the unit assessment today.
- we played addition bingo
- we made scientific observations of a lima bean. We then soaked that lima bean in water over night and we were able to dissect it today to find the cotyledon, embryo, and shell. I am sending home a dry lima bean today. Have your child soak it over night and tomorrow have them dissect it and identify/ tell you about the 3 parts above.
- Mrs. Schwarm shared about her weekend with Pigeon. Charlotte is home Piggie this weekend! Have fun Charlotte and Piggie!
10/21 - Pumpkin Run
10/26 - Early Release Day (12:15 dismissal)
10/31 - PJ Day
11/1 - Field Trip to Eastman