Our featured language this week is from Russia.
Current Trick Words: her, number, over
review trick words: would, could, should come, some, too, also, very put, two, why, by, try, my, who, what, when are, were, do, does, from, have, the, a, and, is, his, of as, has, to, into, we, he, she, be, me, or, for, you, your, I, they, one, said, was
Poems of the week
This week in school....
- Connor shared about his weekend with Piggie. Chloe is taking home Piggie this weekend....have fun!
- we started a kindness chain. We are writing down when friends fill our bucket.
- we celebrated Connor’s birthday
- we celebrated Charlotte’s 1/2 birthday
- we learned about Groundhog day. He saw his shadow so there will be 6 more weeks of winter. Sorry!
- Mr. Velde was a guest reader.
- we started our new unit of study for writing workshop. We judged our collections and wrote about the “best in show”. Students chose which item from their collection they thought was the best and then they wrote down reasons to convince their reader!
- we finished our unit of study for reading workshop (nonfiction) and we will be moving on to our next unit next week (Readers have BIG jobs)
- we went to Mrs. Jeas/Mrs. Munkenbeck and Mrs. Sullivan’s class for their publishing parties.
- we shared our non fiction stories with Mrs. Cohen’s class.
- we sent home all of our nonfiction stories. We hope you enjoyed reading them!
- we changed our classroom calendar over to February. It’s going to be a BUSY month!
- we changed the chart for February to collect weather data.
- we changed the bulletin board outside our pod. Make sure you check it out!
- we had a place value assessment in math.
- Colin and Peter wrote a story on a playdate and read it to the class.
- we had an early release day on Connor’s birthday.
- Mrs. Schwarm’s phone is so quiet! We often don’t hear it ring. If a student hears it ringing, they will now answer it for Mrs. Schwarm. We practiced answering the phone this week.
- we learned about digraph blends (ex. crunch, shred)
- we learned some new r controlled vowels.
- er her /er/
- ir bird /er/
- ur burn /er/
- we made hearts for the “Eliot School Loves Needham” project.
- First grade has collected 163 cans for the Needham Food Pantry! Thank you! We will continue to collect cans until Tuesday, 2/6/18
2/5 - Peter’s 1/2 birthday
2/6 - 100th day of school
2/7 - Hadley and Zoey’s birthday
2/9 - Mo Willems' birthday celebration @9:20