Units of Study
· Building Good Reading Habits – What does reading look like in our classroom? How does our class talk about reading?
· Word Detectives: Print Strategies – How do readers solve unfamiliar words? How do readers check for understanding?
· Learning About the World: Reading Nonfiction – How do we read informational texts with purpose and understanding? How do readers tackle content specific vocabulary that is necessary for understanding text?
· Readers Have Big Jobs to Do: Fluency, Phonics, and Comprehension – Why is it important to think while we read? How does thinking enhance our reading? What are the essential skills for understanding our reading? What is the purpose of our reading and how does that influence the way we read a text?
· Meeting Characters and Learning Lessons: A Study of Story Elements - learning about characters, their relationships with the other characters in the story and how their feelings may change.
· Poetry – What is a poem? What are the characteristics of poetry? What are some types of poetry? How can language enrich poems?